Too much categories in new forum is bad

Groups Forums Featured Forums Forum Admins Too much categories in new forum is bad

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jason Jason 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of John
    John
    Participant

Recently I came across with many forum those who are in it’s infant stage. One thing I noticed that many of them have lot of forum categories. And each category contain only a small number of posts.. Most of the categories has last post added more than an year back.

I assume this state will discourage new users who are willing to participate in discussions. I suggest to have very limited number of categories.. 5 or 6… and fill them with posts.. As the user base grows, more categories can be added as user demands.. This will encourage users who first look into the forum and we can give them an impression that a lot of discussions are happening in the forum.

Profile photo of Arun K
    Arun K
    Participant

This is one reason I stopped browsing many forums… I am not interested in forum which I feel inactive.. :(

Profile photo of Jitto P.Jose
    Jitto P.Jose

You are right John..
    That is the reason we are promoting only one General discussion forum in Hallow Demon. Once the userbase increases, we will consider promotting more groups forums..

Profile photo of Sharma
    Sharma
    Participant

My word of advice is: if you have to scroll too far down, you have too many

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

Yeah i have taken this advice and i have kept minimum categories in my forum (generalchat). I understand the problem it cause for the users.

Profile photo of Altab
    Altab
    Participant

It’s not bad, it looks bad. It’s all about content.

Profile photo of Jitto P.Jose
    Jitto P.Jose

not only content, visibility of content also matters..
    If a good number of posts scattered in a lot many categories, there is a hight chance for that topic to be unnoticed.

Profile photo of Jason
    Jason
    Participant

I have started with minimal and when i get decent no of users and posts i will add few more categories to make it better

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.